Whistling Gypsy

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Currently on my iPod: Luciano Pavarotti Torna a Surriento
Currently reading: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Currently in: Christchurch, New Zealand

My Working Holiday visa arrived today (along with my passport, thank dog. When it is only 10 days until you are due to set off for a 26-hour journey to the Antipodes, you start to get a little concerned about the fact that the British High Commission has had your passport in their clutches for weeks, with nothing but a large debit on your credit card to sho that they have even received your application! Actually, they took just over three weeks- not bad at all, especially given the fact that both Easter and Anzac Day fell within that period. Mind you, it cost $227- ouch. Talk about the hidden costs involved in travelling. I hadn't realised that it was more than a purely nominal fee. That cuts back the number of operas I'll be seeing in my first week in London- poor little arts-starved colonial struggling along on the Kiwi dollar that I am) and my dear puppy growled at the Courier man only a full five minutes after he'd left, so THAT's all right. She obviously did a good job, because it's been half an hour now, and he hasn't been back. Brave puppy girl!

10 more days, then it's Ka kite to this peaceful sod I've grown up on. Oh well, no need to get sentimental. (I'll leave that to Luciano. T'alluntane da stu core, da sta terrrrrrrra dell'ammore, tiene o core e nun turna?) I'll be back, more or less the same person, hopefully with my core values (no alcohol! no drugs! no hip hop non-music!) still intact.

Ar dee do ar dee do da day.
SJ

she whistled and she sang till the green woods rang at 5:06 PM

0 Comments:

Add a comment